Friday, March 09, 2007

Icey Memories

Yesterday evening I watched Unwrapped, the episode about Hawaian/tropical food. One of the items discussed was shaved ice aka snow cones. Watching the ice being shaved, the syrup being poured, and the happy consumers faces made me think back on all my fond memories working for 3 years at a snow cone stand. At times it could get hectic to the point that you wanted to throw the syrup bottles against the wall or shove your head in the ice machine, but once you got past those moments it was a really fun job. Over the course of the 3 years I had regular customers who I knew by flavor. As soon as I saw them walking up I would begin making their order. There was the family who wanted Strawberry Daiquiri with very little syrup, the lady who liked lots of cream on any flavor she ordered, and then there was the lady who ordered the largest size of just ice...then when she got to her car, would pour some alcoholic drink on top.

I would have to give the snow cone stand some credit in helping me out of my "bubble". The stand I started working at was in the parking lot of Big Lots which was the hang out for the Cooper High kids. And I met quite an interesting slue of people...quite different from the Highland C of C and ACU crowds I was use to. I honestly think it was a good experience for me to realize what people in the "real world" are like.

Sadly, since my last day at the snow cone stand (about 2 1/2 years ago) I have lost my appetite for the cold siren. But back in the day my favorite flavors included:

* Silver Fox
* Lucky Charms (tasted just like the marshmellows from the cereal)
* Banana Daiquiri
* Watermelon with margarita salt (tasted like real watermelon)
* Black Cherry Cola

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

MAN!!!! I miss you working there too! Free SNOW CONES!!!! In fact - I hear you're making an appearance here in Abilene shortly...when she we expect our Ninja Turtle snow cone?

Hannah said...

I can't wait for snow cone season again! So many fun summer things. You will defintly have to make a trip to Abilene just for a swim day this summer!

Unknown said...

I can't tell you how much I miss Catalina Berry from New Wave!

Julie said...

In answer to your question on my blog about James's dog: I love corgis, too, but Boris isn't one. He's a mix with some cocker spaniel, Australian shepherd, and Border collie. He looks exactly like a little red fox, though! love it!