Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Chocolate cake; Golf Carts; and Duck, Duck, Goose

I personally survived June Passport. I really had a whole lot of fun. Right after work I went over to the Teague center to collect the freshmen who had departmental meetings in the Ad building. I held my huge professional-looking cardboard sign and herded the large group of quivering freshman across campus. While in the building everyone kept asking me where a certain room was or what do we do now...It was a great feeling of power knowing all the answers.

From 2-2:30 I hung out with the other passport volunteers (it was hard to miss us in our lovely yellow shirts.) I, along with 4 other volunteers had to be back at our posts to answer more questions. So Misty offered to drive us on the special golf cart. I was one of the first to jump on because I wanted to ride on the back standing up. It was quite a rush...and a little nerve racking at times. When you are short and standing on the back it is very hard to see the road so you have no perception of how close you are to parked cars or trees...quite a thrill, eh?

I was back at the Teague center at 5:45 to help serve dinner. I had to practice some self-control as we were the only ones in the room so far and there were about 50 tables set up with pieces of dark chocolate cake!!! I really, really wanted to take it. I was positive that I could have finished it off in 5 seconds and noone would have known.

After dinner we had a mixer out in the mall area with all the freshmen. There weren't enough leaders to help with the groups so I had to take a different group from the one I would be helping with at Welcome Week. Aracely (a mentor leader in the same group as I am) and I combined groups because they were a tad on the small side. I was excited because Erin Schilcutt, a girl I've known in my youth group, and Shelby Jackson, Megan's little sister, were in the group. After a time of getting to know you, Erin suggested we play Duck, Duck, Goose. We tried to get other groups to join but they wouldn't--I guess they were too cool for us. This one big black guy came and played--he was so awesome! After duck, duck, goose they taught me a new game called look down, look up which doesn't seem like much excitement but is unbelievably full of laughter and joy.

After the interaction with my group last night I am extremely pumped and ready for Welcome Week. Knowing now how much fun this experience is I wish I had participated every summer.

No comments: