Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Life's Little Responsibilities

It's time for a look into EC's work life. Normally at the Provost office I have nothing to do. I sit and either surf the web or play computer games. It gets old after awhile and makes the time go really slowly. But there is always that one day in a blue moon when the office is flooded with tasks to get done. At those times I find myself drowning in a sea of papers and staples. And just when I think I have reached the top and can finally breath, another wave pushes me right back to the dire position I was in before.

Well, today wasn't that kind of day but I was given a task that made me want to scream, cry, and punch someone all at the same time. One of my bosses, Dr. Winter, is out of the office for the rest of the summer until school starts. While he is gone it is our task to get his office orgainized. He helped out by making a list of what files are in what drawer. So I am given the task of figuring out how the old list and the new list coincide. I take both lists into the office, open the first drawer--and thus the confusion begins. None of the stuff in this drawer or the one below it are on the list!!! It's just a big hodge-podge of folders filed in chaotic order. I spent 30 minutes in that office trying to understand how this man found anything. I would love to completely gut all of the cabinets and file everything as I think it should go.

I think it's a good thing that Dr. Winter is out of the office for awhile because I don't think I would be in control of the words that would come out of my mouth. Anyway, just a word of advice when filing: keep an up-to-date list of all the files and stick with your filing system--don't let chaos take over...it could ruin the lives of others.

No comments: