Thursday, November 10, 2005

Getting Paid to Play!

Today I had such a wonderful time at work! Anne took Judy and I (the newbies) to see the rest of the park. I have been here almost a month now and I haven't met the other people who work at the park--I've talked to them on the phone. We started at the visitor's center which has a wonderful gift shop full of texas items. I already know where most of my Christmas presents are coming from. Next we walked the trail behind the center all the way to the Brazos River. It's so beautiful down there--everything is green and there are trees, real trees...not the bushes we have in Abilene. Next we went down to the farm. Since we are VIP we got to ride around on the golf cart. We toured the slave cabins and the pen with the baby oxen named Sam, Slim and Shorty. Next we visited the house of Anson Jones (it really is the actual house). FYI: Anson Jones was the last president of the Texas Republic. In the yard of the house were chickens and ducks freely roaming around. Janice, one of the ladies who runs the tours of the farm, showed us her gardens in the back full of carrots, cabbage, onions, etc. She actually uses the food grown to cook meals down there. I can't wait to go there while a school group is down there! After lunch I went to the back where Maria and Shawn work on all of the artifacts. They showed some of the stuff they have and explained how to handle them and the type of controlled climate that has to be kept. And now it's about time for me to leave--I'm leaving early to meet the internet guy so I can finally get internet in my apartment! All in all it has been an absolutely wonderful day--I love my job!!!

No comments: