Saturday, November 12, 2005

Not a Dull Day

So my day at work started out like a pretty typical Saturday. Yes I work on Saturdays. It's not as bad as it sounds--I'm the only one back in the office so I can do whatever I want. Today I was doing research for some upcoming bulletin boards I will be putting up. This whole past week the temperature in the office has been very cooperative--a nice liveable setting. Today it literally is the ice box. At around 11:45 Ketra, one of the weekend front desk workers, came by my desk and asked if I would like the space heater. I thought it might be nice to feel my fingers again. So I brought it in, pluged in in and turned it on. As soon as I turned it on my computer shut off and this horrible, continuous beeping commensed. I ran out to Bill and Ketra and asked for their help. We figured out it was the backup system that was beeping--not really a good thing. So we called Effie and followed her suggestion on flipping all the breakers. This did not erradicate the problem but made it worse as the lights in the outer office turned off! Finally, under Effie's suggestion, we just unplugged the backup system. What's scarey is it kept beeping even though it wasn't plugged in! Ketra and I slowly backed away from it. We got the lights turned back on--thank goodness! So at least the day wasn't completely boring!

*Highlight of the day: I had a Pizza Lunchable for lunch today! I haven't had one of those in years. I felt I need to revert back to my childhood.

1 comment:

Julie said...

erin~

i, too, share your need for/love of space heaters. you seem to really love your new job, and i am so happy for you! i wish i worked with someone named effie. have a great week!