Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Trick or Treating

Last night Travis and I went Trick or Treating for Cans with the Aggies For Christ. We went from door to door asking for canned food donations for the Brazos Church Pantry. And...there was a contest to see which group could collect the most cans.

I had already planned to dress up like a cat. I enjoy dressing up...as can be seen from the numerous late night trips to Whataburger when everyone dressed up crazy. One time I wore a raincoat and had a dustpan tied to my head! Travis was unsure what to dress up as but after an email I sent him and a discussion with Leigh on IM I had an idea. And so he showed up at the church dressed in all black with a piece of paper attached to the front. The paper read "Catnip." And may I say that he was some of the best looking catnip I've ever seen!

We teamed up with Whitney and Katie (dressed as ketchup and mustard bottles) and hit the road! We split up to cover more ground. Travis and I received many odd looks when people opened their doors expecting to see little kids. Some of our favorite experiences were:

* One college-aged guy opened his door and said "Tell me you aren't Trick or Treating." When we said no he said "Good because I don't have candy, anyway." It didn't come as a shock to us that he didn't have canned goods either.

* After giving us some cans one lady gave us a ziplock bag full of different types of gum!

* There was one apartment we went to that reaked of cigarette smoke. I think I might be in danger of lung cancer just from standing outside.

* As we walked down the road 3 people came out of their apartment and said to come trick or treat. So we yelled from the street that we were trick or treating for cans. One of the girls said "Oh I have a can" and poured out the remaining beer in her can. Hmmm....

* Whitney and Katie brought us rice krispie treats from one of the houses they visited--yummm.

Our group ended up tying for first place! We collected 142 cans in about an hour. But truth be told we really won: our group only had 4 people and the other group had at least 7. Take a look at the winning group!

No comments: