Monday, July 12, 2004

Gratitude from an Odd Situation

Alright so this past Saturday night I did something that I've never done before and is completely unlike my personality. But through this event that was fun but weird I got a true lesson in thankfulness.

I was working at the stand from 6-10 Saturday night when I got a call from a number I didn't recognize. It was a guy who knew me but I didn't recognize his voice. He said it was Josh. I became stiff at that moment because I thought it was scary stalker Josh. But it was another Josh who I met at the stand and who would come and visit me quite often some times. We had this joke between us that we called each other "love biscuit"--what the huey? Anyway he is in the air force now in Wichita Falls but comes to visit occassionally. I gave him my number sometime last year. He called to ask if I wanted to go swimming with him and his friends. I figured it was better than sitting at home watching tv. So he and his friend picked my up at 10:30 and made the drive to po-dunk Buffalo Gap.

The house we went to was out in "no-man's land". It was completely dark (which was very good so noone could see how white I am) and you could see all the stars. Well, these friends were some interesting people who were big drinkers and talked about some very scandolous subjects. Josh had me try a coke with some type of alcohol in it but I didn't like it at all. He only drank a few sips of his drink (probably because I was there--he probably drinks a lot more). I wasn't planning on swimming except that the group of people I was around started talking about really inappropriate things so I joined Josh in the pool. I had Josh tell me who was sober and who was drunk. It was very weird for me and eye-opening--I have never been in a situation like that. I also didn't think drunk people and a swimming pool were a good mix--nor were the fireworks that they pulled out later. I mainly hung out with Josh because I really didn't know how to handle everything else happening around me. After swimming for a while (it was really cold) they took me home--and that was the end of a very interesting night.

I tell this story mainly because this event really opened my eyes to the wonderful blessing God has given me. I am so blessed to have the wonderful group of friends that I have--friends who are incredibly creative and lots of fun. I am so pleased that we don't have to use alcohol to have a good time. And after hearing some of the conversations that night, I'm very glad that our group has a level of maturity and tact. For all of my friends reading this, thank you so much for everything you have meant to me and all you have done for me. I praise God for bringing each and everyone of you into my life! I love all of you guys!!!!!

3 comments:

Travis and Erin Bodeker said...

I suppose I should have put level in quotes: "level" of maturity and tact.

Clarissa said...

I'm a random reader -- think I got to your blog from Amber's through Mike Cope's -- not sure.

Anyway -- be careful out there. I had a few experiences not too different from what you describe back in my early college days (different state, different settings, but people drinking and speaking/acting inappropriately.) Thankfully God, in his mercy, safely brought me through most of those situations in which I wasn't cautious. It sounds as if he showed you the same loving care in your experience. But be careful. There are evil people out there. Hang out with these wonderful friends God has blessed you with! (Consider this to be on your parents' behalf.)

Anonymous said...

oh. I like being friends with you too. I know i'm a little late. I forgot about your blog for a while. last night a saw a picture of davalin last prayer day and i was filled with a very similar feeling. wow. i have an amazing group of friends that love God and enjoy praising and learning about him.

-Roommate phil

p.s. i've spent too much time in a cituation like that so i know how it feels.