Tuesday, July 06, 2004

July 4--a Bang and a Half

So another July 4 has come and passed. At first my holiday night seemed like a short jump away from a suicide attempt but actually turned into an absolutly fun time.

The bad thing about having a job at a snow cone stand (well, ONE of the bad things) is you don't get special holidays off. What's even worse is when a majority of your fellow employees go out of town for the special weekend and you have to cover for them. By covering I mean you have to work 12-10 on a Saturday (but it wasn't that bad because I attended an aerobics class before hand that got me pumped up--thanks Katrina!).

At least on Sunday night I was stationed at the stand on Pine where I would be able to see the fireworks. Everything was good, an occassional few people would come--nothing bad. Then 7:45 hit--I didn't get to shut the window til 9:20. By that time I was a mess. I was inches away from shoving my head in the ice machine blades! Luckily at that time Katrina showed up and helped load me up with ice (Katrina, you have no idea how much that helped--thank you!). Luckily after that my boss's sister came to help. Then Stephanie came, and Jane and Jer. Pretty soon there was a party going on in the snow cone stand. We were making jokes/cracking insults at each other as we made snow cones and filled the bottles. We ended up not closing the stand till 11:00 but I really didn't mind because the great time we had. After closing Stephanie and I went to Whataburger to get celebratory food (it was weird being at Whataburger in normal clothes!).

We have decided that the four of us that worked Pine deserve some shirts that say "I Survived July 4, 2004". If I was asked if I would go through this night again I believe I would say a big, fat yes--it was that much fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ohhhh. i would have celebrated the 4th with you if i were in the same time zone. and i'm glad you didn't shove your head into the ice cutter thingy. i would have missed what was missing from your head

-roommmate phil