Wednesday, September 08, 2004

Middle School Mania

Yesterday my education block class had an orientation at Mann Middle School. Being from Abilene and going through the education system here, I know all about the titles placed on the schools. For example Lincoln, where I went, was know as the prep school, Franklin was the somewhat ghetto school, but Mann was known as the worst middle school in town. In eight grade I went to Mann on Fridays for ALPS, a special challenging program. Everytime we went we were all incredibly scared of the students there. Truthfully it was never that bad of a school. The rumors and middle school perceptions made it worse than it was.

After taking a tour of the school, I made my way towards the faculty bathroom in the faculty lounge (yes I actually got to go in the faculty lounge--I've always wanted to see one...what a sad life). On my way into the building I had an encounter with a middle school student. He was an office worker and as he came out of the building he asked if I was the Choir teacher. I told him I wasn't and then he noticed my ACU nametag. He said, "Oh, you're one of those student teacher people". I told him I was more of an observer but would be student teaching soon. He then asked what a student teacher is. I explained that we are learning how to become real teachers. He then welcomed me to the school and shook my hand. He was such a funny kid.

This Thursday I start my first observation at Abilene High!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How exciting it must be to begin the journey of becoming a life changer as a teacher! You will be amazing and a blessing to all! Keep smilin girl!