Thursday, January 12, 2006

Anger

My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
James 1:19-20

Last night I began reading James and I came upon this passage that really got to me. I'm not good at being mad at people. I'm a people-pleaser. I have to make things right. The last time I didn't talk to someone was freshman year of college when one of my guy friends mooned me. Kind of stupid but I'd never had that happen before and I didn't talk to him for 2 or 3 days.

This passage really hit me because I know it's God's rule that we shouldn't remain angry at one another. The problem is I feel like I have a right to remain angry. I also have a slight stubbornness issue. I feel that if I give in and make things right that I'm admitting I was in the wrong. I'm just a little muddled right now.

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I totally hear you, my friend! I know exactly what you mean when you talk about being a stubborn people-pleaser. I pretty much can't stay mad at people, even when I really want to, but I hate nothing more than admiting that I may have been wrong. But I think I'm learning that there's a difference in forgiveness and admitting fault. It's a tricky balance to achieve though. I'd be lying if I told you I had it mastered. But chin up, my friend! God is there to help us figure out the strange paradoxes of life such as this. I know you've been going through a bit of a rough patch lately, and even without knowing the specifics, I have a feeling that I can very much relate to many of the emotions you may be experiencing. You are in my thoughts and prayers! If you ever feel the need/desire to chat, I'm always here! Lots of love, as always!!