Sunday, March 26, 2006

Kids

On Friday we had a group of 60 Pre-K children who came to tour the museum. Naturally, our normal tour, which on average is set at a 4th grade level, had to be brought down. They were absolutely adorable! When I was about to lead my first group out of the Discovery Room (the hands-on room) the little boy in the front of the line just kept hugging me. Then in my second group I had two boys who started fighting over who got to hug me.

Today in my 3-year-old class I taught a lesson about kindness using the story of Mephibosheth (who was the crippled son of Jonathan and grandson of King Saul--apparently my sunday school classes did not teach this story enough). To begin class I had the kids take off their shoes and stick them all in the middle. Then everyone took turns picking a pair of shoes and showing kindness by putting them on their classmates. It was so funny to watch. It also was interesting because they are at this stage in life where they are proud to be able to do things by themselves so some opted to put their own shoes on. One little girl was helping Luke put his shoes on when Garrett yelled out "hey, those are my shoes". We then had to remind the children to pick their own shoes!

I really love working with this age because of their innocence, their unabashed outpouring of love, and their love of life--we adults could learn alot from these young ones.

No comments: