Sunday, March 05, 2006

Very Fun but Tiring Weekend

I survived my first Independence Day Celebration! The weekend was full of lots of fun. It all begain Friday with the special reception held at the museum. We had lots of big wigs along with great food and wine (which I did not drink). I didn't get home that night till 10:30.

I had to be at the museum at 8:30 for the Saturday festivities. We opened the doors at 10:00 and the people began pouring in. It was unbelievable--I had never ever seen so many people in the museum. My family including my Aunt and Uncle showed up right before the awards ceremony for the art contest which I was the MC at. I had a small amount of nervousness but was perfectly fine once I got going. Afterwards Shawn, the currator, complimented me on my public speaking abilities. Later that afternoon I took the museum's camera and went walking around to see the other festivities. I saw the other demonstrators (buffalo soldiers, weavers, blacksmith, band, etc.) I also went and saw the Texas army who camped out on the park all weekend. On my way back from visiting the army I passed by a group of the army men and I got cat-called by an old man...I walked a little faster! By the end of the day my legs were so sore from standing.

Sunday I arrived at the museum again at 8:30 but first I got a frappacino. The majority of the day I spent at the front of the museum welcoming visitors. I spent two hours in the back room with the documents answering people's questions. At three I watched a play called Gone to Texas which told about Sam Houston's life. The main man who ran the group, Gene Pipes, informed me that his sons are in the band Deep Blue Something, the group that sings the Breakfast at Tiffany's song! I also greeted Sam Houston IV when he came into the museum. We found out later that afternoon that a lady was bit by a copperhead up by the visitor's center--let's just say I stayed inside the museum the rest of the day.

Over the two days we had about 5,000 people come through the museum!

I had a church small group meeting tonight at 6:00 but I was so tired I just went home. I layed on the couch and watched the Academy Awards--wonderful end to an eventful weekend.

Although I had a great weekend I part of me was upset that I was missing some events with my friends. First of all I missed Stephen and Rachael's wedding which really tore me up. I also was not able to celebrate Bryson's birthday which I would have love to do. But other that that I had a great time--I love my job!

2 comments:

Jo Anna Workman said...

Hello my precious friend! We really missed you this weekend! It was the most beautiful wedding! I love you and write Kristen and I emails these next couple of months! Have a great week!

Julie said...

yes! come to seattle to see us! leaving our families and friends here in texas will be the most difficult aspect of the move. we missed you this last weekend in arlington, but i'm glad your busy weekend was fun!