Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The Arrival

Texas Independence Day Celebration has officially begun. Today was an amazing day for anyone...but especailly for a history major! The original Texas Declaration arrived to the museum. It was a major media event so we had to make it spectacular. The document arrived to the museum by way of a horse-drawn stagecoach. Toward the end of last year, individuals took part in an auction to get a seat on the stagecoach with the documents. So these 6-7 individuals rode from Independence Hall to the museum in the stagecoach. I had the task of taking pictures for the museum. I was positioned on the observation deck of the second floor so I could get a birds-eye view. Behind the stage coach four Texas Rangers (how cool) rode on horses. The Texas Rangers then carried the box with the documents up to the museum. We had a state representative there to make a small speech. Then we allowed the media and special guest into the Discovery Room where the documents were set up. One of the special guests was Sam Houston IV--the great, great grandson of Sam Houston! I took a picture of him next to our signers painting which has a portrait of Houston and I could see quite a resemblance. Later this evening I watched the highlights of the momentous event on the news. It was such an exciting and riviting event and I was so glad I was apart of it! The declaration will be at the museum from March 2-March 16 so if you can you should try to come out and see it!

Hopefully tomorrow I will put some pictures up from the event...I took some good ones. Robin you would be proud!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Hey Erin,
I'm sitting here, reading your blog and just missing Abilene and ACU and the friends I had there! Your job sounds great--as a fellow historian, I know how cool museums are. Hey, check out my blog if you ever get a chance: sanantoniowife.blogspot.com. Or feel free to e-mail me: mary.riedel@gmail.com. Hope to hear from you soon!