Thursday, August 24, 2006

Breaking News

Lately I have become very interested in watching/listening to the news--another sign I am getting older. In the mornings I watch the Today Show and on my drive to work I listen to AM radio--something I have never done.

Some interesting things I heard today:

Astronomers have either decided or are deciding that Pluto is no longer considered a planet. Also there may be 3 new planets added to the solar system. Everything we learned in grade school is about to change.

On a talk news show the subject being discussed was the Mexico border and illegal immigrants. One of the ladies that called in was apart of Code Pink which, I found out later via internet, is a women's peace organization. She was highly against military involvement along the border. She also stated that these people are coming over here starving and to escape poverty. One of the hosts stated if they are in poverty how are they paying individuals thousands of dollars to help them over the border? At one point in the conversation the host stated these people are coming over illegally. The woman's answer to this was "well, that's your opinion". To counter attack the host said "no, that's a law!" The lady then stated how different is this from when our ancestors came here from England, Ireland, Germany, etc. Uh, they came legally! For some reason she could not get that point through her head!

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I'm totally with you on the feeling older bit. Lately, when I have down time at work, I find myself reading the newspaper and doing crossword puzzles. My latest story of interest had been about the JonBenet Ramsey case. Personally, I think the guy who confessed to it didn't really do it. I think he's just obsessed with the case and wanted to get out of being in jail in Tailand. Just a thought...