Wednesday, August 09, 2006

No Air

Monday evening I went to Nursing Home Singing and then out with the AFCers for dinner. When I left my apartment everything was fine--I was living it up in my 76/77 air conditioned little home. When I arrived back home I noticed a slight change in my comfortable domicile. The air was blowing (constantly) but the thermometer read 80! So for the past two nights I have slept with my little turbo fan blowing directly on me. I hate to sleep when it is hot. It is the most disgusting feeling. (And this is why I am not a big fan of camping). Today I am calling the apartment and my hope is they can fix it by the time I get home.

Monday after eating at the Potato Shack with the fellow nursing home singers, Travis jumped into the passenger side of the truck. So I did what any girl who likes to drive trucks would do--I jumped in the driver's seat and held out my hand for the keys. He was a little hesitant at first. I'm not sure if he meant it just as a joke or if he really wanted me to drive. But in the end I received the keys! I started to drive carefully--I didn't want him to worry. But then he said "You can drive it like it is a truck". I think he was feeling slighted by the other trucks passing him. So I gunned that sucker...well, to the appropriate speed limit :)

In the mornings one of my jobs is to turn on the videos on the second floor of the museum. We have a long ramp that leads all the way up to the second floor. On tours I make sure that the students do not run down the ramp--this is a very big temptation. On certain days, like today, I will take my high heeled shoes off at the bottom of the ramp, turn everything on, and then run all the way down! It's so much fun! I do feel bad that the kids don't get to enjoy this thrill...but I suppose 25 kids running down at once could create mass pandemonium.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

I sympathize with your lack of ac. The air conditioner went out at our house for almost a week back at the beginning of the summer. Talk about miserable! I hope that yours gets fixed in a much more timely manner!!

Julie said...

There IS something sort of wildly fun about driving a truck, and I can just imagine your small body crouched in the driver's seat, careening down the street. That makes me laugh. :-)

And yes, isn't Gregory Peck amazing? There is something handsome and gentlemanly about actors from the 40's and 50's...so suave and mysterious. I will have to check out "A Gentleman's Agreement" at your recommendation!

When are you coming to Abilene again? Anytime before Homecoming?