Thursday, August 10, 2006

Other Duties as Assigned

Today when I went to unlock the upstairs doors at the museum, I noticed a bird sitting on the observation deck right in front of the door. I opened the door a little to get it to fly off and then I noticed it had a hurt wing. I ran downstairs to ask Effie what to do. She said catch it and drop it over the edge--she said it should fly off as best it can. Of course I was a little concerned of if it didn't...then I would have a big splat to clean up!

So I grabbed some of the cleaning lady's gloves: one yellow and one green (that's all I could find). When I got to the top of the ramp Shawn, the Currator of Collections, was there so she followed me out on the deck. I wish I could have recorded myself chasing this bird in my nice work clothes with these mismatched rubber gloves! Shawn and I finally corralled it to the edge of the deck and it hopped up to one of the holes. I then gave it a little tap over the edge and thankfully it flew into a nearby tree.

When I first applied for this job, the application stated that there would be "other duties as assigned". I shall add bird catcher to that list.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Ah, Erin, ever the humanitarian! (hey, that rhymed...kind of)