Thursday, May 25, 2006

Last Day of School/Tours!

Although most public schools have their last days today, some do not evacuate until Friday...it is those few who chose to inhabit the museum. And we could easily tell it was the day before the last day. I gave tours straight from 10:30-1:30. My first group was a mix of 1st-3rd graders--30 of them--all very, very talkative. While trying to round them up numerous times I was amazed as the teachers and parents talked or sat instead of helping. So by the end of this first tour I was a little drained. Then came the first group of hyper, sweaty, ready for summer 4th graders. These groups were incredibly huge--more students than we normally take (and there is a reason for that). During the whole tour I had to speak at the loudest volume my voice would go in order for all of the students to hear me. After this tour there was mass confusion at the front of the museum as my group and Anne's group were slowly leaving and our next two groups were trying to come inside! Ahh!

Towards the end of the last tour I was holding onto my throat as I talked to keep it going. Once the kids left I retired to the back for my lunch. And then Anne and I celebrated with a cup of Blue Bell ice cream--well deserved!

Now begins the leisure summer months. We will have an occasional tour here and there (mostly adult groups) but the rest of the time I will find special little projects to keep my busy--like cleaning out the filing cabinets!

No comments: